Mr. Pike

When the Gallery opened in 1913, superintendent Ray Pike (at right) was one of the original employees.  For forty years “Mister” Pike managed everything from opening and closing the building each day to sweeping the galleries to framing and hanging paintings.  Isabel Herdle (at left), long-time Gallery educator and curator, attributed to him the friendly feeling that pervaded the early Gallery years, and it was in his memory that she gave this powder horn in 1975. Mr. Pike’s love of the Gallery never diminished; after retiring, he returned daily and would sit for hours in the Fountain Court to watch the passing parade of visitors.