Edwin Dickinson

Edwin Dickinson was born in Seneca Falls, NY in 1891, and moved to Buffalo six years later.  By age nineteen he was studying art in New York, first at the Pratt Institute, and later with William Merritt Chase at the Art Students League in the winter and with Chase’s student Charles W. Hawthorne in Provincetown in the summer.  He resided in Provincetown from 1913-1937, where he was a founding member of the Provincetown Art Association.  He lived and worked near the ocean for much of his life.

A painting owned by his Buffalo friend and fellow-artist Esther Sawyer became Dickinson’s first work to enter a museum collection, when Sawyer and her husband donated it to the Albright Art Gallery in 1927, the same year the museum held a solo show of his work. Today, his work is in the collections of the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and many other American museums.  A major retrospective of Dickinson’s work was organized by the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in 2002.