A Loan from a Friend

John Henry Twachtman’s The White Bridge had been purchased by Emily Sibley Watson from the Macbeth Gallery in New York City in 1916, and was first exhibited at the Memorial Art Gallery in October of that year.

Mrs. Watson often purchased works out of Gallery exhibitions or loaned works for extended periods of time, sometimes swapping one “gift” for another. The exhibition catalog listed the group of 10 paintings as “A Miscellaneous Group of Paintings Constituting a Permanent Loan to the Memorial Art Gallery from a Friend.” The White Bridge was the only painting of this group to be accessioned into the Gallery's permanent collection.