1968 Addition

The Gallery's second addition was designed by the local firm of Waasdorp, Northrup and Kaelber. Stretching east from the 1913 building and 1926 addition, the 1968 addition was to add 30,000 square feet, doubling the size of the Gallery.

Visitors entered from a new entrance on the north side of the complex, a move consistent with an urban architectural trend in which organizations began to turn their backs to the street. On the south side, an allée of linden trees designed by landscape architect Fletcher Steele drew the eye from the 1913 building east to Cutler Union.

MAG Archives